When you hear the name TikTok a few things probably pop into your head. For starters, you may think about Gen Z which is the crowd this platform attracts the most. You may also picture individuals lip-syncing to their favorite songs or uprising comedians creating videos. Whichever of these comes to mind, it’s no surprise that this application is turning heads left and right. With over a million users, this platform continues to rise at a rapid rate!
In this quick post, we will cover everything you need to know about Tik Tok. All the way from its beginnings to celebrities taking over.
What is TikTok?
In short, this platform is a creative space where users can create short video clips (15 seconds to be exact). This includes lip-syncing, dancing, or comedy clips. It is compatible with both Android and IOS devices and is basically two apps in one. Just like Musical.ly, there is much emphasis placed on songs and music. TikTok works like social media platforms where you can follow users and have your very own following.
Even if you don’t know exactly what TikTok is, you’ve probably seen advertisements from time to time. Like we mentioned earlier, this application is mainly used among younger crowds, but you will notice older influencer’s in their late 20’s participating as well.
The Transition from Musical.ly
Originally known as Musical.ly, TikTok was taken over by a Chinese video platform – hence the new name. This app has over 300 million active users from around the globe. This number continues to grow as influencers increase their online presence.
When this platform went from Musical.ly to TikTok it lost some of its emphasis on music. There was a bit of debate at first as to whether or not this new app would be better than the last, and to everyone’s surprise, it turned out to be amazing! There were many great additions including the highlight feed that allows the user to know what’s going on in their community.
Moreover, there is also a “For You” section that shows video recommendations. This timeline is tailored to the liking of the user. Along with these innovative features, TikTok offers a reaction feature that makes it easy for users to express how they feel about certain videos. There are new virtual features and even a mental well-being feature that alerts users when they’ve been using the app for more than two hours.
When TikTok acquired and merged with Musical.ly in 2018 their number of users grew dramatically. All existing accounts were transferred over to TikTok which meant that nothing was lost. Therefore, TikToks user base is huge and only continues to get bigger. Buying out Musical.ly was a great investment and this 2-in-1 app is now operated by ByteDance in China.
Why This Platform Is So Popular
TikTok is a great place to showcase your talent since millions of people use it every day. Some people like to log on just to follow their favorite TikTok stars! This is a big part of what makes this platform such as success – the people using it. Here are a few celebrities that have made it big on this application:
- Arishfa Khan is a 16-year-old girl who has over 10 million followers on TikTok. She began acting since age 9 but got her biggest following when she started using this platform. She is known for her lip-syncing videos and enticing personality. Additionally, since her large online presence, she’s created a YouTube channel where she focuses on beauty. She has a large following on this platform as well.
- Rebecca Zamolo has over 11 million followers and uses this app to showcase her gymnastic talents. She used to be a gymnast and now dedicates her time to creating engaging online content. Rebecca also has a YouTube channel and she enjoys creating content with her husband, Matt Slays who is also a social media star.
- Then we have Danielle Cohn – another huge TikTok star with almost 13 million followers. She joined Musical.ly at the age of 13 and became one of the most popular stars on this platform. Danielle is now 15 and continues to do what loves most – create engaging content for her viewers!
- Then you have the Dobre Twins – Lucas and Marcus. They are 20 years old and have over 16 million followers. They enjoy creating goofy content for their viewers and are known for their comedic skits, vlogs, gymnastics, and pranks! They are also well known on YouTube and collaborate a lot with their older siblings Cyrus and Darius.
- Did you know that people aren’t the only ones enjoying this platform? JiffPom has over 19 million followers and he is a small Pomeranian dog! He is known for his trendy outfits and celebrity appearances. He was a part of Katy Perry’s music video “Dark Horse” and has even won 2 Guinness World Records for his speed on only two of his legs. JiffPom can be found on almost any social media platform and is quite the sight to see!
- Currently, the individual with the most TikTok follower is Loren Gray. With over 32 million followers, Loren is the most followed person on this app. She is only 17 years old and has accomplished a lot at such a young age. Previously, she’s hosted her own Snapchap show named “Glow Up” and has been nominated for many awards including the Teen Choice Awards and People’s Choice Award. Along with TikTok, she also likes to sing and has released her own music such as her single, “Can’t Do It”.
These are only a few of the many stars that use TikTok. To browse through the millions of users, we invite you to create an account today! TikTok is among the most popular social platforms. It continues to grow in size every day and a great opportunity to showcase one’s talent. Who knew that 15-second video clips could have such an impact, especially among Gen Z!